Saturday, January 11, 2014

"Where The Wild Things Are" Hat for Blythe...

A while ago a friend asked if I could I could try making a hat for Blythe inspired by the children's book 'Where The Wild Things Are'.  I remember the book from when I was growing up and my kids now have it on their bookshelf too.  (We haven't seen the movie yet but must put it on our to do list!)


I loved creating this hat! It didn't take me long to create the white hat with ears and whiskers but I wanted to do something a bit different for the crown...then I remembered I had some feltable wool that I wanted to try.  After some research on in the internet about felting wool I crocheted a little crown making sure the size was slightly bigger than I wanted to finished piece to be since the felting process shrinks it down.  Then with a sink of hot water and a little detergent I got to work...and after a few minutes the crown turned from this...


into this!!! This is the first time I've ever tried felting wool and to my surprise it actually turned out to be just the right size!  So lucky!


 It took a day or so to dry properly and then it was done.


 I kept the crown separate from the white hat so it can be worn either with or without the crown.


Now I need to get myself some more feltable wool to make one for my Blythes too!  I'd also like to try felting baskets and other things as well.  Not sure why I haven't tried it sooner...so fun!  Have you tried felting before? 

Sheree xx

2 comments:

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. It's so nice to hear from you! :)