Friday, April 4, 2008

Out come the knitting needles and crochet hook...

I've been really inspired lately by all the knitting and crochet talk around the place. Mardi's been crocheting hats like crazy, Melissa's knitting scarves and blankets.... it's given me the urge to drag out some knitting needles myself! After all... winter is just around the corner!

So I thought it might be a nice idea to knit both the boys their own special blanket for those cold winter mornings in front of the tv watching cartoons curled up on the couch. Madi's already got one. Her Great Nanna crocheted her a blanket last winter which I absolutely love... here's a pic...


So off I went yesterday to Spotlight and picked up some wool so I could get started. I chose three shades blue for Ayden (it's his fave colour) and for Riley I decided on navy, green & white. When I told Mum about my plans she offered to knit one of them, so now Mum is working on Ayden's blanket while I'm doing Riley's. I decided to keep it very simple so it wouldn't take too long to get it done. I started last night with the navy and went out today to pick up the green wool at Big W (Spotlight just didn't have any nice greens yesterday when I went) so here's what I've done so far...
Mum will be finished long before me no doubt! She's so fast at knitting... she can literally do it without looking!!! I don't know how she does that without dropping stitches..... Since I can only scrap at night while the kids are in bed it's great to have something creative to do during the day while they're playing around the house.

I've been wanting to learn to crochet for a long time now too. Both my Nanna's were beautiful crocheters and I wish I had asked them to teach me while they were still around. (They both passed away years ago now.) Mardi had sent me a link to a tutorial on You Tube a couple of days ago, so last night I thought I'd check it out. I ended up finding some great basic step-by-step tutorials on You Tube and with their help, I can now crochet!!! Check out what I made!

I can't believe I can crochet a flower!! It's amazing what you can learn over the internet!!

Ayden had crazy hair day at school today for the last day of term. I got up this morning realising that we don't have any mousse or hair gel, but hairspray seemed to do the trick! He really wanted a mohawk type style...this is what we came up with...


He was quite happy with his 'do' and it was lots of fun seeing everyone turning up for school with their crazy hair! Even Ms Taylor, Ayden's teacher, got in on the act with big loops all through her hair! Wish I had a pic of that to share...

Other than that there's not really much else to tell about this week. I have done a little scrapping but nothing I can share just yet. Well, it's bedtime for the kids so I'm off to tuck them in, grab a cuppa and decide whether to scrap or knit tonight! Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Sheree xx

7 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so jealous! I wish I could knit and crochet. I got mum to teach me to crochet flowers last year, but she gave up cos I was hopeless. lol She said she should have taught me when I was ten.

    Ayden's hair looks awesome! I didn't think hairspray would be that good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are so clever.....I Love the flowers.....Loves Madis blanket, I have got 2 that my great grandmar made, they are so special, a life time keepsake.

    Love Aydens Hair....very cool

    Have a great weekend
    Cherie xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You clever little thing. I think I would give up half way...lol.
    My mum did teach me both when I was young - but I wouldn't remember now. Although I will take a peek at that link - just incase...:)
    Love the 'Crazy hair' very cute!
    Have a fabulous weekend.
    Belinda
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG how clever are you! you'll be selling those crochet flowers on ebay soon. that is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are incredible, so creative....gosh I got taught how to knit too from Nana but she gave up!!! I guess I could give it a go again......NA maybe I will just buy some of your crocheted flowers!! LOL thanks for the lovely comment too. have a great week!!
    PS did you check out that site I gave you?? M xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohh Sheree..how clever are you!!
    Those rugs are going to be just gorgeous...and your crocheting too....its like riding a bike really...when you know how...its easy to pick up again....Ill look forward to seeing some finished projects...I'm sure the boys will love them.

    So glad the tutorial was helpful too...what a cool internet find.

    Its certainly nice to have a little yarn project on the go isnt it...

    Mardi xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, Sheree - LOVE those flowers - everything looks simply gorgeous!! I wish I could crochet. My mum crocheted a lot of clothes when we were babies, but she has forgotten over the years!!! I love how scrappers are using them on layouts too.

    And hairspray for Ayden's hair worked great - I try that with my little guy and it goes flat in a second. I must try gel next time....

    Cheers - Helen.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a comment. It's so nice to hear from you! :)